When you make a website and want other people to see it, you will need to publish (or upload) it with a web hosting service.
Website information such as images, video, or any other content accessible through the Web needs to be stored on a computer server located in a secure and climate controlled environment that is permanently connected to the internet through high speed data lines. This server space is referred to as Web Hosting.
When someone types in your web address (such as www.boltonit.com.au), the Internet connects to the web server holding your website files and then transfers your website information back to their computer. From there they can surf and view the pages of your website.
Web Hosting Options
1: Hosting the Website Yourself
This means that you will need to have the right equipment, including a web server and a permanent connection to the Internet. Make sure that your Internet service provider (ISP) allows this type of usage. You would also need to have website administration skills such as managing/configuring a web server, patch management, firewalls, virus protection etc.
Most businesses don’t do their own web hosting. It often makes more sense to hand this task to a third party who can monitor the website 24/7.
2: Find a Web Hosting Provider to Host your Website
This is the most common choice for web hosting. Using a third party web hosting provider allows you to concentrate on developing your website (or whatever else it is you may do), and leave the hosting tasks up to a company who specializes in web hosting.
A good web hosting company will provide at least the following services:
- 24/7 support
- 24/7 FTP access (so you can update your website)
- A number of email accounts (i.e. yourName@yourDomain.com)
- Online control panel for managing your website
- Online traffic statistics (so you can see how much traffic your website receives)
- A robust database management system, such as MySQL or MS SQL. This is so you can add your own database if required
Benefits of Web Hosting with us
We offer business grade web hosting with the following features:
- 99.5% uptime SLA
- Perl / PHP5 /MySQL
- Server Statistics
- WordPress, Joomla, Drupal Enabled
- Latest cPanel
- Choice of traffic limits per month
- Linux or Windows servers
- Hosted in Australia
- High Availability Architecture
- Full bandwidth guarantee
- Virtual or dedicated servers
- Ultra Green Plan (causes less than 1KG CO2 per year)